Sunday, August 27, 2006

Why Blog?


on display
Originally uploaded by Godi.
I answered that in a previous post but I was thinking about it again yesterday then David Drake asked in comment "does one medium work better than the other for you, between keeping a written mood journal as opposed to using the blog?" I'm going to answer that here.

I can't write. When I'm manic or very depressed the white paper makes me feel like I'm staring into a void and then I feel like I'm being sucked in. My writing is barely legible and when I have crossouts, which is often, I end up doodling them into mountains until I have to follow a maze to read anything. The internet was a release for me, my first book was done entirely in html. Typing my thoughts helped slow them down enough that I could think of them more thoroughly. The addition of visuals and music made reading, which I also have a problem with, more interesting and more in keeping with my moods. Blogging is an evolutionary release, I can keep track of dates and times and it's so much easier when the computer does all the tedious stuff. In some form or another I'll keep working online because it not only suits me and is a lot easier to use but I also like the idea of having an audience. I get lazy or reluctant to write even though I should every day but the thought of keeping my audience up to date helps drive me. I'll still track my moods on OOMM but for now I'm going to try to do it by writing from my moods rather than about them.

Thanks for the question, David, it really helped me think out what was spinning through my head.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rev,

Good answer, I fully understand the theraputic-ness (bad word) of writing, more on-line than in a paper journal.

I too think "white paper" is more...I dunno, intimidating isn't quite the right word - maybe more challenging - than typing something down on-line. I know I can type much faster than I can handwrite, and my handwriting sucks for anyone else to read, and often for me to decipher it later.

Great post, as always Reverend. And Thank You for the "plug" to my blog, much appreciated. Stay well and keep in touch!

8/27/2006 6:40 PM  
Blogger RevrendZ said...

Thanks for the visit and the good words, David.

8/27/2006 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment