Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Battle

Part 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Let's do this...

Joel's tech got them through the first part of the tunnel with minimal loss but from that point tech wasn't what they needed. When they were near the halfway point they saw that the number of enemy guards had grown. "It's an illusion!" the monk shouted over the din of battle but that was little help, the non-psionics had no way of telling who the real targets were. Arleen and Den strengthened their shields, it helped but not enough, a lot of shots were wasted and more of the crew fell. The illusions got worse the closer in they got, by the time the tunnel was cleared a third of the crew was dead or injured. Arleen and Den were tiring from the exertion of shielding but the illusions were gone and Goren could concentrate on the door.

When the door fell a flood of emotions came out, their psi shielding stemmed it some but it was enough to make them hesitate. Before the cybers could get their shields up a ball of fire screamed through the door, Wilder and Fedence caught the worst of it and they went down. The three remaining cybers got their shields raised in time to stop the next fireball. Goren caught it and turned it on the enemy, as it tore through them the crew attacked.

The battle was confusion, blasters firing, swords clashing, emotions storming through the cave. Fire and rock flew everywhere, death reigned. Goren and the psionics stayed back, while the others were fighting Goren was concentrating on the cave ceiling and the monk was strengthening him. Arleen and Den were shielding them from interference but they couldn't hold everything back and Goren was struggling to focus. He felt the monk's strength uniting with his own but he also felt added strength from within himself and knew it was coming from Brend. Their combined support brought his power into focus and the cave ceiling began to vibrate. Goren pushed himself, he was a high rated telekinetic and had reserves he hadn't even tapped. Rock began falling from above onto the combatants, bits of stone at first but soon huge chunks began to drop, crushing those it hit, enemy and crew alike. Goren pushed himself beyond his limits and felt his mind expand, another presence had joined him, he sensed her thoughts and knew he'd achieved the multi-mind. The monk saw what was happening and knew what was about to come, "Hade!" he roared over the battle, their agreed signal, the Saru word for run. The crew ran for the doorway and with a herculean effort Goren sent the cave ceiling crashing to the floor. The effort proved too much for him, he felt something in his mind snap and he was falling in darkness.

Excerpt from Shadow Stalkers by S.E.Estes


12 Comments:

Blogger RevrendZ said...

Alright, let's get that dirty kitchen off my mind and I'll try again.

4/26/2005 10:02 AM  
Blogger RevrendZ said...

Well the kitchen is clean and critter-free, the basement is going to have to wait for another time.

4/26/2005 10:20 AM  
Blogger RevrendZ said...

My horoscope today: You want events to move quickly, but pushing too hard can be counter-productive.

I want to get this chapter done so much but I guess I need to just let it flow.

4/26/2005 11:26 AM  
Blogger RevrendZ said...

Two hours for two sentences, not much of a flow.

4/26/2005 11:41 AM  
Blogger RevrendZ said...

My muse was here, I was ready to write, then I had an argument with my son. She fled in the face of his anger. All I can do is hope she returns.

4/26/2005 3:23 PM  
Blogger RevrendZ said...

I guess the smell of spaghetti caught her attention, I sense her near.

4/26/2005 3:52 PM  
Blogger RevrendZ said...

Gettin there...

4/26/2005 4:30 PM  
Blogger RevrendZ said...

At a standstill... no one to blame but myself, I just can't figure this scene out yet. I know when I do the chapter will bring itself to its natural end.

4/26/2005 5:37 PM  
Blogger RevrendZ said...

Woo hoo! I got through it, maybe not the best but that's what rewrites are for. Now I can move ahead.

4/26/2005 6:25 PM  
Blogger RevrendZ said...

Been staring at this for a couple hours and have come to the conculsion that the chapter has ended. The name of the chapter is Far Reach, it's about events that occurred on a planet of that name but mainly it's about people reaching beyond their limitations. I think this is an appropriate close for it.

4/26/2005 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying readin along :)

4/26/2005 8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've twice forgotten to sign my id to my comment...the above was from me...Miss Hobby

Sorry about that.

4/26/2005 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment